Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Degree Progress! (Updated Winter 2011 Quarter)

I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I woke up to see not only did I pass all of my classes for the quarter, but I did much better than I thought I would have! Maybe I grade myself too harshly for some of the stuff that I do, but in my opinion, it's way better to be safe than sorry.

I also received a lot of help in Digital Logic from my lab partners (I don't think they'd want to be named here), so I owe a lot of my understanding about the course to them. I felt way behind when I didn't even know the rudimentary concepts of binary at the start of the course so for the first half, I felt like I was always playing catch-up.

I met a lot of interesting people in my Game Design course. I know video games are my calling, as really, that's the only thing I can go on about for hours. If you want to get to know me or break my silence, start talking about games I like and I can definitely go on tangents. I knew video game design was my calling ever since elementary school, but moreso since middle school when I saw it was actually feasible to get a job as one instead of simply just a dream.

As always, I like to point out my progress towards my degree(s) that I'm going for every quarter. It's a great motivator (for me) to have a visual representation of how close I am to finishing. But given that a lot of courses are offered only once a year, I'm trying on focusing on getting my traditional BS Computer Science degree first, and then concentrate on a BA in Video Game Development. But some classes overlap (Algorithm Analysis, Compilers, and System Analysis), so I may not get my desired second degree for up to two years after. Ugh!

Winter 2011 Courses:
Software Engineering (CSE 455)
Machine Organization (CSE 313)
General Physics (PHYS221)
Introduction to Geology (GEOL101)

X - Denotes that the class has been successfully completed.
O - Indicates the classes I'm taking in Winter 2011 quarter.

Computer Science BS Progress:

BA - Video Game Development Progress:


Yeah, I know what you're thinking. "Why did you add a y at the end of CSE431 on the bottom graph?". Well, you tell me why that class would be hard to explain that "Anal" stands for Analysis to an average person looking at the graph.

Also, I'm going for two degrees because the first one is more recognized as it's accredited by ABET , and it would be satisfactory to get a job in the government or related institution like that (if I wanted to). The second degree is actually the one I want to go for in a career, but a BA isn't taken as seriously, so I want to make sure I have a decent buffer, and say I have a degree in both disciplines to make me more valuable in getting a starting job. (At least I would hope to be more valuable.)

2 comments:

Ryan Davis said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.