Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Video Game Progress (For Winter Break)

These blog entries suit my posting style much more than a simple status update or tweet would.

Current Video Games working on completing:

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals (DS) (Just Completed)
Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii) (Currently Playing)
Chrono Cross (PS1) (Currently Playing)
Final Fantasy XIV (PC) (Currently Playing)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (GBA)
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (DS)
Vagrant Story (PS1)
Dissidia: Final Fantasy (PSP)
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP)
Final Fantasy II (PS1)
Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
Final Fantasy XIII (XB360)
Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
Yoshi's Island DS (DS)


Now that I've completed "Curse of the Sinistrals", I'm now going to be working on "Chrono Cross" and "Donkey Kong Country Returns". I'm almost done with the latter and I'm about 3/4 of the way through Disc 1 on the former.

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals:

This game did a good job of representing the Lufia II game for the SNES, but re-built to be an action RPG.

I finally got around to beating this game, it is a remake of the prequel of the first RPG I've ever completed. It tops my list of "saddest" video game endings ever. Makes the ending of Final Fantasy X look happy in comparison, that's how sad it is.

I mean, listen to the ending song.





Donkey Kong Country Returns
:





This game is not easy, by any means. It takes all of the Donkey Kong Country games Rare worked on in the Super Nintendo iterations in the 90's and multiplied the difficulty by ten... thousand. It's even harder when playing with a second person because you lose two lives if you fall. (That's why my death counter is so freaking high.) It's fun though, don't get me wrong. Bad game design is when you blame the game for why you don't play it. (See: Final Fantasy XIV). A good game is one where you fail and it's challenging, but it makes it so it's clearly the player's fault.

The game balances it with lots of save spots, once you learn the ropes of the level, you pass the save spot and the mayhem starts all over again!

I plan on doing more of a specialized rant on this game after I complete it in the near future, but this is easily one of my favorite games on the Wii.

Chrono Cross:





Really good game, I think it takes the cake for one of my favorite PS1 RPGs. It was suggested to me by my friend Stucky (who then thought I wouldn't be able to find a good copy of the game), but I was fortunate enough to find one at a decent price at one of my game hunts.

I'm currently at the part where something happens to Serge and you end up controlling a new person. (I can't go that far without spoiling important details, but if you've played the game, you would know what I'm talking about.)

I adore the music of this game, Yasunori Mitsuda did a grand job with the composition of this game and it really exceeds those of the compositions of RPGs you see in today's time. (Here's looking at you Final Fantasy XIII)

Final Fantasy XIV:





This game is currently in the "getting very improved" stage. Though I consider some of the reviews to be considerably harsh on the game, it was deserved and I couldn't find anything to disagree with, other than the low score.

However, I'm still having lots of fun. The game itself went through another massive update, a shift in the development team (with people from FFIX, FFX, and FFXI heading the project), and today it is introducing the search function for shopping to make things loads easier. I posted in my last blog entry about Viva Eorzea progress, and we've now hit 90 members!

I'm working on levelling a Paladin-like character (Gladiator) and mage combination (Conjurer) so I can be a good balance for my linkshell where needed. I'm looking forward to the additional content Square-Enix has to give us in the coming months. Some people would call me crazy for being patient and accepting of all of this, but hey. I was planning on buying the game anyway, and I'm not paying any monthly fees. Square can take as much time as they want, I kind of wish other players weren't as impatient, but that's their prerogative.


_


I'm hoping to get the overall list cut down by a considerable amount by the end of this Winter break, so I won't have as many games piling up to complete for the next quarter. I'm hoping to get a Nintendo 3DS and Pokemon Black or White in the coming months so I wouldn't want a stack of games I haven't had a chance to go through. I'm glad I have this break to do them, school really does suck the life out of me. (Ironic, given the field I want to go into.)

No comments: