Thursday, January 6, 2011

New RPG Project!


The following screenshot (above) is a sample picture from the program RPG Maker VX, by Enterbrain. It's a newer program that was released within the last couple of years that allows beginners and programming veterans to produce a role-playing game. While its predecessor RPG Maker XP placed emphasis on making interconnecting areas, outdoor areas, and indoor areas, VX streamlines the process by allowing creation of a traditional RPG World Maps, and randomizing dungeons.

It also allows the use of Ruby Scripts for those who are knowledgeable with the Ruby programming language.

_

This brings me to this blog post. Those who know me or stalk this blog know that I have a project developed on the RPG Maker XP engine, Dojo Adventure. However, I don't have a game for its newer engine.

Well, I am putting together a team for a new project that will be developed for this engine. I don't want to shed any important details for the project in this post since I'm still writing a notebook full of ideas (and have been throughout the past three weeks). But I can state four main points about the upcoming project:

New Project Details:

1. This new project is going to take place in the same world/universe as Dojo Adventure, but the story and exploration will be in a different part of the world, so this allows introducing new characters and storyline unrelated to the first game project. The game will contain the same kind of atmosphere and technology as said game.

2. This new project will place more emphasis on storyline and character advancement as well as cutscenes. It will have more of an engaging story and protagonists that speak and interact with one another.

3. The game will recycle some of the abilities from my first game project, which means production of abilities and animations won't take as long.

4. I want to try new things with this project and take the best ideas from old school role-playing games that came out in my childhood and mix them with new circumstances and characters. An old-school experience with a non-cliche set of characters. When creating Dojo Adventure, I took a lot of my favorite games I liked at the time and mixed them together to create somewhat of a unique game that lacked personality but still contained depth. In this new project I want to have an original game that's, while not as in-depth as Dojo Adventure in terms of gameplay, remains to be an enjoyable game/story in its own right.

Looking for Team Members:

-Ruby programmers
-RGSS Scripters
-Logo Designer
-Composer
-Character Artists
-Sprite/Battle Artists
-Map Designers
-Dungeon Designers
-Storyline Writers
-Monster Artists
-Protagonist Artists
-Antagonist Artists
-Title Screen/Game Over Screen Designers


Personal Project Goals:

Although I'm officially taking a course in software engineering, I want to see how well I can manage an actual team using people remotely to work on this project. I developed Dojo Adventure with a 2004 mindset, I wasn't really considering releasing the game to an audience like I ended up doing anyway, I just wanted to see if I could do it.

Now I'm taking it a step further, I want to see if I can accomplish a whole new game project that starts almost from scratch and create a new game from that.

Inspirations for New RPG Project:

Lufia and the Fortress of Doom (SNES)
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals (SNES)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
Breath of Fire III (PSX)
The Legend of Dragoon (PSX)
Final Fantasy VII (PSX)
Chrono Cross (PSX)
Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light (DS)

No comments: