Saturday, April 2, 2011

Four, Two, but no Zero!




This is unfortunately to be the last blog post of my Spring Break before it's back to the grind on Monday. (Albeit nothing as close as excruciating to what I had to deal with last quarter)

I'm taking a quarter off on Computer Science related academia while I focus on getting my Math and Physics requirements out of the way. Even though I'm not officially taking any programming courses in the university this term, I want to focus on getting my knowledge of Ruby and C# for when I take Video Game Programming (CSE441) in Spring 2012. I'll rant about that a little later.


_

New Skits!:

There are two new BETACinema videos! I posted one of them as an afterthought in the last entry, but it is "If Jon Ruled the World" written by Jon and myself and edited by Jon. Check it out below:






The second movie is an afterthought and I edited it in about 4-5 hours as a last minute short-term replacement to "The Math Skit" that was supposed to be released as an April Fools' Day skit. Due to circumstances outside the group's control, however, it has been postponed. I don't like to go back on promises, so I edited together some of the funniest footage that could not make it into our actual skits (for lack of continuity, didn't make sense, bad footage, etc) and I compiled it into a ten minute movie! You can see that below:






_

Nintendo 3DS:



I got a chance to play some of the Nintendo 3DS and Super Street Fighter IV over a friends house. He got it on release day and let us play it for a while. I have to say, I LOVE the console. I originally was skeptical about the 3D effects, but they really give a whole new dimension to the gameplay and I really like it. It's something everyone should see first hand, definitely. YouTube movies and trailers of it do not do it justice. My friend got the black colored console, but I'm hoping to get this particular color. What can I say? I am a sucker for blue colors. :)

The only foreseeable downside I have (personally) with the Nintendo 3DS is that I cannot handle the 3D effects very well. I have the depth slider at almost bare minimum and any more makes my eyes cross-eyed and gives me a terrible headache. But even on the minimum, the 3D is clearly apparent and gives off the impression that the characters actually bounce off the environments. (Your experience may vary.)

_

Programming Goals / Codename:EPIC :

Like I mentioned earlier, I am taking a break from programming classes at the university to focus on some self-study in order to prepare for what is to come. I've been in university for three years and I still don't feel confident in my programming abilities, so I'm giving myself about five months (the Spring and Summer) to change that. I would like to improve my skills in these areas to be ready for classes like "Graphics Programming" and "Operating Systems".

Anyway, for now, I'm expanding on my own Ruby skills in order to program some of my own systems in the game for the project. Since Ruby is a scripting language and RPG Maker VX allows for Ruby Scripts, I'm expanding on my foundations using this website and this book (below) as a reference.

I've had it for a couple of years now and I want to focus on actually getting through it and start doing some development on the side with the in-game systems while the art infrastructure and algorithms of the game are being implemented. Hopefully screen-shots are to be shown of the progress in the next couple of weeks. The game is going to be in a long development.




_

April Goals:


-Complete Final Fantasy XIII. (It's been these goal lists for three months now?)
-Do well in Spring quarter courses.
-Start and have initial screen-shots of Codename: EPIC.
-Finish "Math Skit" for BETACinema.


_


Here's to a happy and cheerful quarter! ^_^





Now if you'll excuse me, I have to lead a linkshell event in six hours.

No comments: