Thursday, April 28, 2011

My Opinions on Final Fantasy XIV Patch 1.17a


And this is my character with an egg hat. >.<



See also: FFXIV Patch 1.17a notes


So I logged on Final Fantasy XIV the other day to check out some of the new quests introduced on Monday. I'm pretty pleased with them so far. The first batch of quests weren't all too interesting, the second batch (introduced in 1.17) were a little more thought out and had the introduction quests for companies, and this patch (1.17a) brought more quests into the three main city-states as well as some of the outlying towns outside of Limsa Lominsa and Ul'dah. None for Gridania, but there may be a reason to that (which I'll explain a little later.)

Quests and Features:

There were some new quests in Limsa Lominsa, and I got my friend Artamie to help me with these.



We did a quest that involved killing some crabs on the shores near a town called Aleport, we went to the town next not expecting anything, but lo and behold there was a new quest there as well! It was a simple one which had us collecting seashells in an instanced zone, but I'm glad they're starting to give some attention to these little towns, they had little to no storyline or lore behind them.



Next up, we took a trip to Thanalan and checked out the Golden Bazaar north of Camp Drybone for two more quests. These had an interesting story that had us killing beastmen. We had to kill some newer level 30 ish mobs near the Halitali camp.



I'd also like to mention that the addition of these two icons scare the crap out of me.

But not in a "game is going down the wrong path" sort of way. They literally scare the crap out of me. You make a party and then WHOOSH it flashes on the screen with a loud sound effect and disappears. Other than that, it's quite nice. They're paying attention to the small and large details at the same time, and that's the right way to getting to the overhaul that XIV needs.


There was also a recent post that suggested that they were changing the zone of the Black Shroud. They've said in forum interviews that they were looking into resdesigning the areas due to repetitive pathing and excessive usage of copy and paste, so I'm looking forward to that. (And that's also why they probably didn't add any quests to The Black Shroud, in order to not waste development resources.)

There's also a hint in one of the quests that Cid is coming!


They also added daily guild tasks, but I am not a crafter or harvester. I honestly can't tell you how those are. -_-


Companies:




They also updated the FFXIV Company Webpage by adding a few more details to the new generals of the companies.



Notice that this guy's weapon is the "Death Penalty" which was Vincent's ultimate weapon in FFVII and Corsair's ultimate weapon in FFXI.




The Claustrum was the Black Mage's ultimate weapon in FFXI. Might it be more of a hint that we're getting Black Mages soon? With the designs and the announcement of the Job System coming soon, I would hope so!




Notice this guy's name? Look familiar? Yeah, he shares the same name with the infamous Blue Mage from FFXI. He even wears a Tizona which was Blue Mage's mythic weapon in FFXI. Still don't know who I'm talking about? Yeah, this guy.



No comments: