Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Patience wore out! :(

Edited (4/12/2011) - The patch outline for Thursday has been posted.


I'm normally very patient, but I think time has caught up with me. I'm finally starting to lose hope for Final Fantasy XIV. In fact, I guess I could say I had 7 months of optimism before it ran dry.


As it currently stands, I'm logging in once a week as a commitment to the linkshell, and it will remain that way for the foreseeable future, but there isn't just any motivation to play, and a lack of noticeable improvement or hope coming from the development team. Enhancement of battle effects, really?

I guess you could say that the main driving force for this is seeing the road map for Final Fantasy XI for the next year. They seem to have big plans for the game, and even if it's not anything I'm particularly interested in that would warrant me returning, I kind of wish they had some kind of updated structure for XIV and in a sense it's making me long to return to XI.

I don't know why, or even how Square-Enix managed to make this XIV release such a colossal bomb. I just don't know how, they spent five years on this project and we get a handful of zones, a very minimal amount of story, and no chocobos we can ride, airships we can board, or even Cid!

I applaud Naoki Yoshida for taking over for a game that was in a state of other chaos. (Hell, he even became one of my game design idols because of that.) But his team is going very slowly trying to understand the immature Crystal Tools technology and re-engineering a five year project in 6-7 months. I do think the game will eventually improve to a point where it is enjoyable by many and playable, but I don't think it's going to be a reasonable enough time-frame for gamers to want to give it a chance. Or the playerbase will eventually get fatigued (as I did) and move on to greener pastures.

Anyway, as far as this post is concerned, I think I'll remain logging in once a week to do LS events and keep looking at updates, but my optimism has long dissipated and I know I can't fathom recommending the game to friends for a long while.

I'm hoping one day I can look at this post and laugh because the game will have changed for the better, but I don't know. I just don't know.




.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.