Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Selection of Video Game Music (May 2011) - Part III


Part III of my favorite video game music. To see parts I and II, you can check out this link and scroll down. It starts from most recent iteration and goes backward.

#21 - "Searching for Friends" (Final Fantasy VI)






Going to start off with a classic SNES-era Uematsu tune. This song is played during the world map of the "World of Ruin" in Final Fantasy VI after the airship has been recovered. It's a very enthusiastic song that plays that emphasizes the need of "searching for friends", the party members that were lost in the transformation from the first half to the second half of the game.

DJ Yuzoboy did a very good remix of this song, also. With lyrics from the song "Holla If Ya Hear Me" by 2Pac.






#22 - "To the Future" (Love Theme/Ending Song) (Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals)





Note: Spoilers!

Probably one of the saddest themes in existence, but this is the song that plays as main characters Maxim and Selan are trapped in the crashing Doom Island and sacrifice themselves to save their loved ones and their hometown.

The scene in context:






#23 - "Sword Search" (The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening)


One of the best Game Boy games that was ever released. It's going to be released on the 3DS Virtual Console, too! Hip, hip-

This particular theme plays at the very beginning of the game when you wash up on Koholint Island.





#24 - "The Road" (Street Fighter Alpha 3)

As being the first main Street Fighter game since Street Fighter II to have all-new themes, I as shocked when I heard this song back in 1998. SFA3 had a very good soundtrack, even if they dumped all the classic themes to introduce them in. This particular song plays on Ryu's stage.





#25 - "Gym Leader Battle Theme" (Pokemon Ruby-Sapphire-Emerald)

Ruby and Sapphire are my least favorite in the series by far. I never bought them near release day, and I was generally disgusted with Pokemon back in 2003. I thought they ruined the formula after Gold and Silver (loss of backwards compatibility) and I didn't want any part of it. Now that I've gotten back into the series with Diamond and Pearl, I got the Emerald version a couple of years ago to go back and see what I missed.





#26 - Haunted Hideaway (Mario Party 8)

Most of the Mario Party games past 2 were flat out terrible. And MP8 is no exception. However, there is one board on the game that is pretty catchy. Plays in "King Boo's Haunted Hideaway".





#27 - Angel Island Zone 2 (Sonic Advance)

Sonic Advance for GBA had a largely forgettable soundtrack, but it was a solid game. Solid enough to get various sequels, at least. Anyway, the song that really stands out is this theme which plays somewhat through the middle if I remember correctly.





#28 - Corridors of Time (Chrono Trigger)

Oh yeah, this one. This song is one of my favorites in the game. Plays when the party goes to Antiquity in 12,000 B.C. The world is in an ice age of sorts and most of humanity lives on a floating island in the skies above called "Zeal".


This is the song that plays in this area:



DJ Yuzoboy also did two interesting remixes of this song with Michael Jackson:










#29 - Rainbow Road (Mario Kart 64)

A pure classic this song is. Played at the very last level of the game. If you've never played Mario Kart 64, you've missed out on one of the best games of the second half of the 90's. ESPECIALLY TOAD'S SCREAMING.





#30 - Snow Bags (Need For Speed III: Hot Pursuit)

One of my favorite PS1-era racing games. This was my first game when I played and raced from cops, before the widespread popularity of Grand Theft Auto and the PlayStation 2 years afterward.

This song plays on the Summit and Rocky Pass levels. The Summit has more of a rock theme to it while the Rocky Pass has more of a alternative rock theme to it by utilizing different parts of the song more. I like The Summit's version more.





My favorite part of the song starts at 4:48.

#31 - Fever for the Flava (Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2)


The sequel to the game (above). I played the Gamecube version for days and nights when I rented it. Absolutely loved the game, and it was the last NFS game I enjoyed. I don't like the ones they come out with nowadays. This was my favorite song out of this soundtrack. It's called "Fever for the Flava" by Hot Action Cop. I don't like the actual version of the song very much, but I like the one that has been edited for the sake of the game. Check it out.



No comments: