Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Farewell June! What to do in July?

Some summer music that brings back memories...







Anyway, this month was one of the best months I've had all year. Overstatement? Understatement? I don't know... year's only half-over so far.

IGDA Meeting:

I just came back from a game developer's meeting way out in Irvine and I'd have to say it was a lot of fun. I am happy to have met a lot of like-minded individuals who have the same career aspirations as I do. I was able to do some networking (I was pleasantly surprised to see that other people had a blogspot. Perhaps I'm not crazy for using this!) I'm not a big fan of Tumblr, personally. I'll explain why sometime in another post.

Anyway... the meeting was very informative... and also a smack in a face. A lot of the people on the panel have told us about bad experiences with team members that they had on their project that they considered their friends, and most of them counted experiences where the game project they were working on caused them to split/break off a friendship that they had.

The sad part? They were getting paid for it and were let go. I'm working on Selatria and I already lost a very close friend due to disagreements about the project, and it's sad, but it happens. One of the best advice they gave was to keep members in the team by their expertise and how well they are, and not necessarily because they're just "your friend". That's probably one of the most helpful pieces of advice I've received, and a wake-up call that I may need to trim some of the team in the future.


XIII Complete:

Remember how I said that I wanted to complete Final Fantasy XIII? You know, the goal for the last six months or so? Well, the deed is done, finally. I don't have to make any more life goals, and I got through that game. Ugh. >< I'm hoping Final Fantasy XIII-2 is better.


BETACinema:

Skits are coming. There was going to be a skit posted today, but I took it down due to some pressure from other members in the group. Still needs some work and it's blurry and the audio is kind of messed up for whatever reason. Going to get that fixed and I'll work with the editor to try and get it up and running again. This weekend, perhaps?


What's going to happen in July?

I was planning on going to Anime Expo... or AM^2, or both, and then it dawned on me. I just don't care to go to either of them this year. I really don't. Too much of bad politics got in there and ruined a once good event. AM^2 creators are trying to get back at AX people or whatever. What happened to enjoying a yearly innocent/civil convention? It's just all pure bitterness and I don't want any part of it.

Anyway, other plans...

I'm going to work more on Selatria. A lot more. We got a third art director (very talented person), and there will be lots of changes coming. For more info on that, you can read the post I put on Monday.

Get rank 50 Gladiator in FFXIV. On Friday's post, it will be explained why this is so important. Especially if you haven't been keeping up with the changes that are coming to Final Fantasy XIV.

I want to hang out with the BETA people more, and not to just film stuff, either. One of my friends who mentioned something at the end of the meeting really got to me. I am really formal with my friends, it seems. I have to plan events to hang out with these meetings and I'm not one to be very social, and she suggested that we all hang out and it doesn't necessarily have to be a meeting. Surprisingly, I'm not against the idea. I'd rather kick back for once than always leading some sort of project or skit.


Catching up on sleep would be nice too...


Next time:

Friday's blog post will start the new month by going over the upcoming changes in Final Fantasy XIV and Naoki Yoshida's Letter from the Producer XII.

No comments: