Saturday, August 6, 2011

Selection of Video Game Music - Part IV


I'm honestly not much of a blogging mood today. I'm in a listening mood. So, I'm going to put some themes that I've been listening to lately. For parts I and II, click the label at the bottom of post and scroll down accordingly.


#32 - "Severnaya Installation (Surface 1)" - Goldeneye N64

I remember being 6 or 7 years old playing this game trying to figure out where to go, and I was stuck on this level for the longest time because I forgot that B button opened doors, or something like that. I have very fond memories of Goldeneye, and it's the only shooter I've tolerated, or maybe that's my anti-Xbox self speaking. I'm not sure.

Graeme Norgate was the composer of the Goldeneye series for N64, the whole soundtrack is great, but this one sticks out.





#33 - "Pulifia Flowers" - Lufia Series

This is one of my favorite RPG themes, and also one of the first I can remember. This plays in scenes where the hero and his love interest Lufia stand in the gardens near their hometown talking about their plans. Although it's strongly hinted that they like one another, the Hero feels like he has to go alone on his journey, but Lufia longs to stay near him, so they take off out of town together. Anyway, they have their talk, so to say, in the Pulifia flowers in the kingdom of Alekia. This music mainly makes its first appearance there.






#34 - "Beyond the Wasteland" - Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 1/2

I'd have to admit, I never got very far in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, I personally thought it was an awful game, or maybe I wasn't used to it. I gave the TA series another go when I bought Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2 for the DS in 2008. I liked it much better, and it was easier for me to ease into the game. The final boss was kind of a pain in the rear, though. Would heal itself if you "took your time", so to say.

Anyway, this song plays in some of the battles in FFTA2, I was pleasantly surprised to hear that this was in the first game as well -- I might give it another go. :)






#35 - "Hawaii - Jungle Bump" - Cruis'n World

Great racing game. You can do wheelies at will, go off jumps and do flips. (Or at least I remember flipping.) and a friend of mine and I did co-op until we got to the Moon and completed the game. It was a lot of fun. Cruis'n Exotica came out sometime afterwards, but I never got into it, mainly because by then the N64 was dying out and I was getting addicted to FF7 and FF9 on the PlayStation.

Anyhow, this is the music from the first level of the game.







#36 - "Hot Top Volcano" - Diddy Kong Racing

The level is easy with airplanes, sure. But try it on a hovercraft.




#37 - "Escape from the City" - Sonic Adventure 2

This Sonic game is a treasure, probably my favorite one out of the whole series. I rented it from Blockbuster (remember that store?), and I think I had it overdue for like two weeks due to playing the heck out of it. I got a large way through. Someone stole my GameCube memory card, though, and I'm going to play it again someday. Perhaps I'll complete it before the end of the year. After Super Mario Sunshine... Anyway, I'd be stupid not to have this song on the list.







Only five on this list now. The quality of music in games lately has really decreased, or maybe I'm not playing newer games as much. Too much importance on graphics, I tell you. Games need to appeal to all of the senses, and not just the eyes for maximum enjoyment. Just saying.

No comments: