Sunday, October 14, 2012

Ask Questions.

I had my feelings thoroughly hurt earlier today. I heard some unflattering things college classmates talked about me during my time in some of the courses.

I won't name off the courses it involved or the people involved with doing it, but I have two main philosophies.

1. I never say anything behind a person's back that I wouldn't say to their face directly.

2. Always ask questions. A stupid question is one that's never answered.

The first example is this person involved talking about my performance in a class in which I was this person's lab partner. The professor mistakenly assumed that everyone in the class had basic Electromagnetism experience and made sure they knew circuit diagrams.

At the time, I haven't taken the course, so trying to understand the lab instructions, I asked my classmate and they were not very much help.This continued on for the whole quarter or so, with me feeling stupid that I was behind that I felt like I haven't taken the relevant courses needed to feel successful in the class.

The second example was that I was put into a group with this person in another class. I, not knowing the language that they were doing this program in, decided to ask a lot of questions about it on their group forum that they made for the group project. I guess, one of the questions they determined to be too stupid and proceeded to laugh about it. (This was the one I just talked about.)

And this person proceeded to have a class with one of my friends afterwards and grilled me to the point where even he said he felt ashamed to be my friend.

That was probably the straw that broke the camel's back and made me want to write this.

Anyway, my philosophy. Always ask questions. There's always a right and wrong answer, even if someone says there isn't one. The wrong answer in that case is the one they do not want to hear.

---

I guess that it was a few years ago now, so it's all water under the bridge. It's not likely that I'm going to see these people again, so I'm not going to publicly bash them on the interwebs. I'm not that type of person, that's why I kept the names and relevant classes out of it.

But I like to learn. I like to ask questions. If I don't understand things, damn well I will make it known.

It's never cool to be the subject of the guy that everyone is laughing at though. Makes me want to further improve myself. Expect some industry-related posts in the future. (Mostly for my reference)


.