Wednesday, November 7, 2012

New Approach

Time for a new approach. Different Game Developers seem to want vastly different skill-sets in their job requirements for the same position.

I'm going to take a random sample of 10-15 job openings, tally up what they're looking for, and take the top 5-6 common skill-sets, and make sure I get proficient at it. Very, very, proficient at it.

Seems it's better to be extremely good at a few aspects of development than to be okay in a wide variety of development.


Source: Gamasutra

 Jobs Looked at : 15

Scripting Language (General): 8
JavaScript: 7
C++ : 7
Unity: 6
Flash/ActionScript: 5
Level Editor (General): 4
Java: 4

---

3DS Max: 3
Unreal: 2
Maya: 2
C#: 2
Android SDK/Android Programming Knowledge: 2
Lua: 1
DirectX: 1
Radiant: 1
Perforce: 1
Modding Knowledge:  1 
iOS Experience: 1


As you can see, I have my work ahead of me. Some jobs wanted general scripting knowledge, but others wanted specific knowledge of languages. So I have much to study. You'll see on the navbar on the top I put the top languages, I'll be doing blog posts on these in the future that have handy guides and tutorials that I find.

 

No comments: