Monday, December 10, 2012

Selatria - Development Blog Entry 12/10: Dev Team Changes and Updated Screenshots

Hey readers! An update of what's being worked on. Selatria as a whole is coming along very nicely. Once the cutscenes and the battles for Chapter 2 are completed, we'll be officially 1/3 of the way through the project!

The goal is to get finished with that around the end of the year and do each chapter in a two month time frame after that. The last two months will be for testing/playing through the game and implementing side-quests with the overall goal to be finished/released on August 20. :)


My policy for removing team members:

With such a volatile project, the development team is constantly changing and reforming. There's been some development team changes. Unfortunately, with a team where most people are working for free, it's hard to expect new things in a quick amount of time. I'm really hoping to get that changed with the upcoming game fundraiser and pre-order openings to where I can begin commissioning the current team AND get new people to continue helping with the project.

If I notice a team member is not contributing at all without letting me know (and I'm normally very lenient - I give a few months or so.) I typically replace them, and any resources they've submitted (if they've submitted any) if they are worth the loss.

If the person submitted assets that I intend on using, they stay in the group and will always have a share in the project. So if you got dropped from the project, don't take it personally. You would be more than welcome to come back if you show me you're willing to do something.

I don't know, though... is that policy fair? At least I think it's fair. This is why I need a human resources person. Someone's gotta lay down the law. Especially after money changes hands.

---

New Selatria Team Member!

We have a new sprite artist for the project! Her name is Hannah Bottenberg. You'll get to see some of her work in the redesign of the Hat character, and the designs of some upcoming yet-to-be-announced characters! She's a very talented artist and writer and a lot of the team recommended her even before I even asked! I'm happy that she agreed to join along.


---

Updated Ability Animations:

Instead of trying to find artists to improve the animations from a visual standpoint, I decided to go into the scripting and play with how animations are coded. I came up with a few of my own. Some attacks will be flashy (the higher level ones) and some of them will have them hop across the screen. It fits right in with the tone of the game and looks smooth. I think you'll like it.

Here's an example of Number 016 hopping across the screen assassin-style for one of the redone abilities.




---


Video Development Log Coming Soon!

I've been putting it off for a few months, but I'm going to be launching a monthly video development log starting in January from the new game design studio I'm working on setting up. It will launch on my personal YouTube account. It will go along with the fundraising pitch on IndieGogo and Kickstarter. Both of which will start once all of the legal stuff regarding Selatria and the team members are finalized.   

---

I also got a neat free phone cover the other day. Decided to get the logo of the game etched in it. I know, bad quality webcam is bad. Anyone have the Song of Time handy?


That's the end of my rant for now. Until next time! Stay tuned in January for the beginning of pre-orders of the game and fundraising for the project!



.

No comments: