Saturday, May 31, 2014

Whim Independent Studios - Development Log #26

Hey all, back with the 26th development log!

I've started committing to posting these development logs on the last Saturday of every month, to have a reasonable timeframe on releasing these and keeping people updated with what we're doing -

Studio and Twitter: 

I've revitalized not only my own Twitter page but we created one for the studio. Using some suggestions from the Indie Game Developers Facebook community, I've been #GameDev, #IndieDev, and #screenshotsaturday hashtags for posting about our progress. While I will be posting long development logs once a month about our development, if you would like to casually follow progress on our games, check out our Twitter pages to stay up-to-date on what we're doing. Please follow us!

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/groverwhim
Company Twitter Page: https://twitter.com/whimindie

Selatria:

We are about halfway done preparing for the Kickstarter launch of Selatria. We have special things planned for the reward tiers (which are retroactive with the Indiegogo backers from last year). I will not spoil the surprises, but one new aspect for our new version of the game we will be presenting is a redesigned game logo!

Semi-final edition of the new logo developed by Jennifer Gilliland
The new logo was drawn by our game's main artist, Jennifer Gilliland. The new logo uses a more mystical look that, in my opinion, better fits the story and look of the game and the meaning of the word "Selatria".

As for the development of the game, we just finished Chapter 3-3, which involves going through the dungeon called the "Smuggler's Passage". Those who like a mix of going through dark dungeons with a torch and maneuvering on water passageways will like the design of the dungeon.

I did some of the initial mapping and the cut-scenes of the area, Chris composed the theme, Matt developed the fight and battle encounter mechanics as well as adjusting the maps, and Jon did the balancing and fine-tuning to make sure the pacing fit the other areas of the game. Take a look at some of the screenshots and listen to the theme!






ANTics Post-Mortem:

I wanted to write a post-mortem, or things we learned, about ANTics development alongside this post. I wanted to post about my experiences as a Producer working together with the programmer of the project and coordinating with the artist and composer to come up with the full realization of the game. However, I think this would be better if this post were to be pushed off until after we complete the other versions of the game. I have a lot I want to write about regarding our development team's dealings with Apple.


-

My next development log in June will talk about our experience as a studio first time going to E3! Hopefully we'll see you there!

Until next time!


.

No comments: