Tuesday, July 1, 2014

E3 2014 Pictures+Videos+Commentary

(Note: This was originally written on June 21, 2014. I just published it due to uploading issues.)


So last week was my first time at E3 2014, as usual I do my yearly Facebook spam with lots of ranting on what I like and don't like to do. This year was different, I got to play the games they talked about in person.

My favorite games I'm looking forward to:

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U (Wii U) - A given. The game plays almost identical to 2008 Super Smash Bros. Brawl with some modifications, so if you were looking for a change of gameplay like there was between Melee and Brawl, you're unfortunately in for a wake-up call. The game looks promising, but I could see some influences from the Project M mod, notably the complete redesign of the character "Pit" in terms of gameplay. I did get to play as Wii Fit Trainer and absolutely loved it. There will be an adapter for GameCube controllers to play on the WiiU as well, and they showed it off extensively. That's all we could play with in the demo. I would list Smash Bros for 3DS as well, but the controls are awkward and unintuitive in my opinion. I think the game needs to be pushed back or the 3DS launches with a periphreal to allow for easier inputs and movements. That's just my opinion. Other than the poor controls, the game plays very solid.

Yoshi's Woolly World (Wii U) - I got to play through the first couple of levels of this game, and the gameplay footage didn't do it justice. It plays a lot like Yoshi's Story and Yoshi's Island games of old, but done in a complete Yarn setting and includes New Super Mario Bros. like co-operative gameplay. The yarn graphics are completely detailed, and you can lick and "unravel" hidden points in the game and it's done in a very aesthetically pleasing manner. I'm looking forward to this game in 2015!

Splatoon (Wii U) - A first-person shooter I really enjoy playing! (For a change). The object of the game was to splatter as much of the battlefield as you can with paint. The Splatoon Booth was designed to be a 4 on 4 player game, with each person on each console controlling the Wii U touch controller. My strategy was to sneak past the other players and douse their home area in paint, hehehe. I wear Splatoon squids on my glasses from now on in real life in support of this game. It was honestly my first enjoyable shooter since Goldeneye for the 64.

Mario Maker (Wii U) - A really fun one. You can make Mario levels and play through them in both the 1985 graphics or the New Super Mario Bros. style graphics. The use of the engine was pretty limited though. They only had Overworld levels available, I can't wait to see if there will be underwater and Bowser castle levels.

Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U) - I played this at E3 and it was the first time I heard of the game. It's a platformer that puts more emphasis on problem solving and camera turning than platform hopping. Definitely a game I'll look into getting.

Mortal Kombat X (Various) - I like the old-school direction the series has taken in regards of the last title, and Mortal Kombat X seems to be going in the same direction.

Starwhal: Just the Tip (PS3/PS4): A fun simple multiplayer game where you control sharks and have to stab them in the chest with the shark tip. It's hilariously fun to play.

Pictures and Commentary:


The look of the badge, I didn't picture the barcode for obvious reasons.


This was in the main entrance hall. Square-Enix got center stage! A nice look of Shiva on the center of FFXIV with Kingdom Hearts 2.5 and Theatrhythm taking the sides of the panels.

 Evolve was a big attraction and won a lot of "Best of E3" awards.

 Lots of interesting stuff to see all around.




I got to play Sonic Boom, both the 3DS version and WiiU version. The controls don't feel very natural and the game doesn't give a lot of direction on where to go and what to do. I had to ask the attendant for help on where to go and how to advance at times. Hopefully they fix it before release.


The Square-Enix bag from E3. It's huge. After the show ended, I turned it into a poster!




I was coaching our artist for Selatria and ANTics on how to fight Leviathan! She was Black Mage. Unfortunately, she didn't win that one...



But then we got the whole studio in and kicked its ass. T-Shirts for everyone!


Did I also mention I got to meet some friends from Viva and we beat Leviathan there too!?


 

Letter from the Producer LIVE... live! And I got to meet Naoki Yoshida FFXIV Producer/Director shortly after! One of my game design inspirations!



Square-Enix plushies and figurines!



Hatsume Miku from the Sega booth!


Sega statues at the booth. Wow, I look awkward!



Splatoon, a really fun game. Read my thoughts on it at the top of the post if you haven't! 


The Nintendo booth! Where I spent most of my time.


Ryan Homme (Selatria writer) posing for the camera!



Capcom figurines!


Atlus booth!



I didn't know they were coming up with a new Gauntlet game! I loved Gauntlet Legends and Gauntlet: Dark Legacy as a kid. The co-op for those games were awesome. It might be a little harder to compete in this day in age with online cooperation.


Figurines from Destiny, an upcoming game by Bungie (creators of Halo series)

Videos:

For the Smash Bros. video, a Nintendo representative interrupted me several times saying I had to show the people playing the game, so I had to make sure I switched between the people playing and the footage.
 


 
 

No comments: