Tuesday, May 19, 2020

I scheduled a staycation - a workcation? Some time to really sit down and hash out my project and clear my head

I've been getting that hopeless feeling in my day job again. I think it's a mix of frustration, burnout, and uselessness. Not based off my personal ability and skill, and not even based off my immediate team members, but mainly because my equipment doesn't work, and no one really knows why and can't really help during the pandemic. That's all I can really say without breaking confidentiality. I really feel like I need some time off to recharge...

...So I've scheduled a week's worth of vacation for my day job in a few weeks
(June 8th-12th) to knock out a significant portion of Selatria's progress. A hardcore Selatria game jam, if you will. I aimed to do this at some remote location but due to COVID traveling that far to an unknown location is just too risky to do this time. So I plan on being in the San Bernardino studio just knocking out tasks going off a priority.
  1. Reviewing content in Testing column and doing whatever it takes to be marked as Complete
  2. Knocking out In-Progress tasks I can't do in a normal workday or too tired to do without stopping.
  3. Giving a LOT of detailed feedback if the task involved is not something I have the skills to do myself.
  4. Start throwing in tasks from backlog that I never had time to get to if I really want this done by November.
The goal is to try and get a first draft of the entire game by year's end and I might be swinging an axe to cut things down or change it as needed. I'm really excited for June and seeing how this is going to go, and really moving the needle on getting the game done and rid of a lot of tasks in the backlog.

I know it's weird to say that work is the one thing that'll really clear my head, but I feel like these mental blocks to get the game done is one additional thing hampering my personal growth and getting a whole week to sit down and work on it without having to wake up at ungodly hours in the morning or walking around for a convention will really allow me to recharge and flourish.

At least I hope so.

No comments: